Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The traditional family recipe, Brisket!


Here we go - Brisket along with sauteed asparagus, oven-baked sweet and white potato wedges, and watermelon relish. Yum!

I didn't think I had it in me to cook up this traditional recipe in my family - Brisket! The last thing I want to do is make a traditional recipe and completely screw it up! But we had success! It was delicious, flavorful and brought back special memories. I even had my first experience with an electric knife and finally understood what it meant to cut “against the grain.” Oh – the little things in life that excite me!

I have to thank four people though – or else I would not have been able to have such a successful dinner. First off, I have to thank my mom. If not for your advice prior to making this I would be completely lost! Even the little things like how we need the fat on the brisket to keep it moist, flavorful and juicy… I probably scared the hell out of the butcher at the grocery store when I yelled, “Stop! Don’t cut that fat off! I need it!” Surely he looked at me like I was insane. David – thank you for being my taste tester! And willing to tell me when something I have made is just terrible. Luckily it didn’t happen this time! I love you! To my new neighbor, Courtney! Thank you for showing me how to make “healthy French fries!” Mine were a bit well done but very flavorful… and definitely delicious with loads of ketchup! And Jacki, David’s mom, thank you for making the watermelon relish (as well as bringing that delicious dessert)! Your dish has opened my mind and inspired me to try new herbs, like Cilantro, as well as learn how to incorporate them into our every day meals. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Your brisket looks so delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need the watermelon relish recipe for my fish tacos. Think David's mom will give it up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will get you the recipe ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watermelon Sweet Onion Salsa

    Ingredients:
    2 cups chopped seedless watermelon
    3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
    3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed & drained
    1/4 cup chopped & seeded jalepeno chilies
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    Pinch of salt

    Instructions:
    Stir together all ingredients in bowl. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1hr to blend flvors. Stir before serving.

    Yied 4 servings

    Nutritional Information:
    Per serving: 90 calories, 5 calories from fat, 1gm total fat, 0g saurated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 19g carbohydrates, 4gm dietary fiber, 10g suars, 4g protein

    ReplyDelete