Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I built my very own trifle!


David’s mom invited us over to dinner this past Sunday and all though we were told to just bring ourselves, I knew I couldn’t just show up empty handed (and bringing Bella over doesn’t count as bringing something….).

I remembered I still had homemade angel food cake in the freezer (I had previously sliced off a couple thin layers from the top of the cake to include it in my tropical cream pie), so I decided I would bring dessert! Now I didn’t want to just bring over some thawed-out cake that had already been cut a bit, so I decided I would chop up the cake into cubes and make it into a trifle! Fabulous idea with fresh fruits (strawberries, grapes, kiwi, and peaches), a light cool whip, and vanilla pudding! Yummy! Can we say guilt-free too?

Of course, because of my trifle idea, and the only clear, large bowl I had was a Pyrex bowl that we normally use for our salads, I felt the need to go out and buy a trifle bowl. I mean why not, right? I like to entertain, and I’m sure I’ll use it again! David and I decided to go on our, what I thought to be, “short” journey to buy a new dish! We started out at Old Time Pottery, since it is so close to us… and unfortunately that was a big, fat FAIL. So we then decided to head north to check out Ross. Normally we find everything at Ross but usually it’s an unexpected find. So our search for a trifle bowl did not succeed. Finally we headed to Target, where I found my cute, new trifle bowl… LOVE it! It only took three stores… I guess that’s not too terrible.

The dessert turned out great. But also, I will have to say that dinner was a hit! Thanks Jacki for having us over – your new chicken dish with black bean salsa was delicious! Love ya!

So David’s birthday is today… Happy Birthday Davie!! I love you honey buns!! To celebrate David’s birthday, we will be having a special meal! This means that new posts will be coming very shortly! We will be grilling tuna tonight and it will be accompanied with a mango salsa, grilled vegetables, healthy French fries, and assorted raw veggies with the avocado dip I posted previously. Tonight’s dessert will be s’mores… unfortunately the originally-planned dessert will be a day late for David’s birthday…. I couldn’t get my butt in gear fast enough…. it will be Coconut Macadamia Nut Pie, a special request from the birthday boy! So there’s more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment