For those of you who don't know what tempeh is, it is similar to tofu, but made of whole soybeans and has a much firmer texture. Most vegans would describe tempeh as "meaty" and "nutty."
Check out these websites to get a better idea about tempeh:
Cooking with Tempeh -Vegan Coach
What is Tempeh? -Soya
I wrote the recipe the way I made this dish, which may be slightly different in comparison to the original recipe.
Smoky Grilled Tempeh
- 1 (8-oz) pkg tempeh
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke, hickory flavor
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Whisk all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh in half, widthwise, then cut each half diagonally to make 4 large triangles.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. When the water is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer, add the tempeh, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to place the tempeh in an 8x8 Pyrex dish. Pour the marinade over the tempeh. Marinate for 1 hour. Flip the tempeh occasionally to allow all sides to evenly marinate.
- To grill: Grease a piece of tinfoil and lay it down on the grates of the grill. Place the tempeh on the tinfoil and grill each side for 5 minutes.