Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Russian Tea Cookies - A favorite around the holidays!

I know, I know - another dessert, right? But it's the holidays! And well, one New Year's resolution of mine is to start working on HEALTHIER desserts. But it's not quite the new year yet! I've got the meals pretty much down, but when it comes to desserts, watch out! I'm a monster with a sweet tooth!

This is a dessert everybody loves! My mom used to make these all the time around the holidays... Russian Tea Cookies!

Now I will admit, I have never really liked these cookies. BUT let me tell you, that all changed after making them ...for my first time.... As soon as you take these lovely cookies out of the oven, you take the cookies from the baking sheet and dip them directly into a bowl of powdered sugar to coat the outside of it. Well I decided to use tongs for this process... and let's just say there were a few fragile ones :) I made a rule: the broken ones were mine! And boy were they tasty!

David's work had a potluck on the day of Christmas Eve so I made cookies for him to take to work: Russian Tea Cookies and Gingerbread Men Cookies.

Russian Tea Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped finely
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Cream butter, sugar, & vanilla.
  3. Gradually stir in flour and salt.
  4. Add nuts and stir until well blended.
  5. Roll into 1-2 inch balls on a greased cookie sheet.
  6. Bake 10-12 min or until bottoms are light golden brown.
  7. Roll in powdered sugar as soon as they come out of the oven AND after they have cooled.
Enjoy &Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. These look amazing :) David and his coworkers are lucky.

    ReplyDelete