I had also made black bean burgers that night and got a little daring... I decided to dip my black bean burger into the "cheese" sauce.... AMAZING! I'm not sure why I loved it so much but both the burger and sauce went perfect together. This combo is a must and I will definitely do it again!
Cheezy Sauce (Source: Veganomicon)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- A pinch of dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- Combine the broth and flour in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until dissolved.
- Heat the oil and garlic in a saucepan over medium-low heat, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for about 15 seconds.
- Add the broth, turmeric, and nutritional yeast, and raise the heat to medium. Stir constantly with a whisk. The mixture should bubble and thicken within 3 minutes.
- Once the mixture is bubbling and thickening, stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and mustard, and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and cover the saucepan to keep warm until ready to use.
- Yields ~3 cups.