Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

January 23, 2011 Recipe #3: Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting

Our Sunday night dinner came along and we were quite excited for Recipe #3 of The 2011 Cookbook Challenge... Chocolate Cake! Yummy! I really like the vegan chocolate cakes... some people describe it tasting somewhere between cake and a brownie. And for some odd reason, I find that if I freeze the cake and then let it thaw out on its own, it tastes even better! I have noticed this a few times!

The cake recipe called for a choice of chocolate or buttercream frosting. I went with the buttercream frosting to avoid having a cake that was too rich, and my choice was perfect... it was delicious. The frosting was easy to spread on the cake and had a slightly hardened texture once refrigerated. Before refrigerating the cake though, I wanted to decorate the top of it. I recently learned how to make homemade chocolate, which I keep in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I grated the chocolate with a microplane grater. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the block of chococlate because it is really not pretty LOL. The chocolate shavings gave the cake a lovely look! Next time I will have to try making little chocolate curls on top!

I gave the leftover cake to Jacki before she left on Sunday night so that she could take the cake into work with her Monday morning. She shared it with her coworkers and they enjoyed it! One guy even wants the recipe!

So far so good with The Joy of Vegan Baking!


2 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I think it might be a good thing that we don't live closer. I think I'd weigh about 10lbs more from coming and stealing your deserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this cake recipe - it called for so little oil in it, so really not a lot of fat in this cake at all!

    This is why I make things and have to get them out of the house right away... if they stayed, I would eat it all LOL.

    ReplyDelete