Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Special Thanks

I wanted to give a special thank you to our townhome's maintenance and management crew! It's a perfect time to make baked goods, and they deserve it for all their hard work! I decided to make the chocolate, chocolate chip cookies Meagan made for the cookie exchange - they were OH so good! But I made some slight changes compared to Meagan's cookie. I crushed up a bunch of candy canes and mixed them into the cookie dough! And well, they are gigantic! Yummy!

David also brought some of these cookies to his work. He said everyone loved them, BUT there was one slightly negative comment... they look like cow patties! Ok, so I know they're ugly but it's hard making any baked goods pretty when you have double chocolate - brown and more brown. I guess I could of decorated the tops of them a bit with candy canes or sprinkles, but I'll keep that in mind for the next time :) Sorry for the ugly cookies! At least the appearance relates nothing to the taste.

Jumbo Double Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, softened 
  • 1 ½ cups white sugar 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • cup cocoa powder 
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda 
  • ¼ teaspoon salt 
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips 
  • 1 cup candy canes, crushed
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips and candy canes. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. 
  3. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
  4. Yield: Well, that's a tough one... it depends on how big or small you want your cookies to be. I wanted my extra large so I did not end up with as many :)

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, This is a wonderful cookie. I love to visit here and your cookie exchange convinced me that I have to visit more often. have a great day and enjoy the holidays with those you love. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Mary! The cookie exchange was a great way to get together with friends during the holidays and it was also a great learning experience! Happy holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete