Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

A different kind of pumpkin dessert! Perfect for the holidays!

 I didn’t realize how delicious this recipe actually would be. There were good reviews on www.allrecipes.com, but some of them threw me off a little, such as “this is better the day after…” I would recommend this pumpkin dessert to everybody, especially those who do not like traditional pies (ME!). AND I recommend eating the dessert just after it cools! It is so, so good :)

This dessert is made up of three layers. The bottom layer is yellow cake mix from a box, but you end up forming dough out of it and pushing it into the bottom of the pan. It is just a denser version of the actually cake. The next layer is a delicious pumpkin filling. I followed the recipe to the tee for this part! Finally, the top layer is a combination of reserved cake mix, butter, sugar, and walnuts. Yum! The recipe calls for white sugar but I decided to use the raw sugar cane crystals (Demerara). I used a little more sugar than what was called for (~ ¾ cup) and I threw the top layer ingredients into a food processor. Of course not reading the directions entirely, I added the chopped nuts to the food processor with the rest of the ingredients, so the walnuts ended up being crushed further. OOPS! I decided to keeping going though and sprinkled the mixture on top. It ended up being the best part of the dessert!

If you want to check out the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Dessert/Detail.aspx

Enjoy!


Lucky for David's work! All leftovers were sent to work
with him or else we would have eaten the entire thing
(that's what happens when you have a big, bad sweet tooth)!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks fun! Personally, I love pies. But, I think that looks like something I would try (of course, veganized!). ;) Way to be brave and try something unusual!

    ReplyDelete